March 2013’s South End Gallery Crawl, featuring the return of guided tours + addition of AKA Creative
Posted on 26 Feb 2013 by Kia O. Moore
This Friday marks the first of the month which means South End Charlotte displays a feast for the eyes during the South End Gallery Crawl. On Friday, March 1, if you want to be ahead of the cultural curve in Charlotte, you should join in this cultural experience by taking a stroll around one of CLT’s most artsy blocks: South End .
AKA Creative added
One arts venue not to be missed during the March 1 crawl is AKA Creative (316 Remount Road). This newer arts venue will be unveiling their latest art exhibit “Memento Vitae.” Stop by the AKA Creative gallery space from 8pm-10pm to explore the collected works of painter Lydia Jean Goldbeck and sculptor Sara Catapano.
During the exhibit reception, gallery crawlers will be treated to Goldbeck’s larger-than-life 15×10 foot portraits showcased on warped canvases. They will also discover the intricate details and textures of Catapano’s sculptures which where painstakingly shaped into existence.
Goldbeck and Catapano will be on hand during the whole exhibit reception to provide AKA Creative gallery crawlers with insight about the meaning, emotion, and techniques used to create their works.
Guided tour back by popular demand
Gallery Crawls are typically self-guided tours that allow individuals and small groups the chance to explore the latest artworks from the Charlotte visual arts scene. However, as of February 2013 South End now provides a guided walking tour. The Gallery Crawl Walking Tour will be led by Ted Boyd, Director of South End. The tour is free to attend but space is limited for the March guided tour. To register to get your free ticket visit the Eventbrite page: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5640825862/es2004/?rank=1
- 5:00 — 5:45pm — Food Truck Friday (this is optional but if you’d like to enjoy the food trucks, please make certain to order your food before 5:45 because food takes a bit to prepare and the tour leaves promptly at 6pm)
- 5:30 — 6:00pm — Registration. Meet at the Corner of Camden Rd and Park Ave (Food Truck Friday lot) to register and get maps. Look for the branded black and white Historic South End Tent for Registration
- 6:00pm — Elder Gallery
- 6:40pm — Charlotte Art League
- 7:20pm — Lark & Key Gallery
- 7:40pm — Ciel Gallery + Mosaic Studio
- 8:00pm — Explore other galleries on your own